Food Services

Allergies and Disabilities


Under the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) regulations 7 CFR Part 15b require substitutions or modifications for school meals for those children whose disabilities restrict their diets. A child with a disability must be provided substitutions in food when that need is supported by a statement signed by a licensed physician.

If a child has been determined by a physician to be disabled and the disability would prevent the child from eating the regular school meals, the CAIU will make any substitution prescribed by the physician. If a substitution is required, there will be no extra charge for the meal. Please note that a substitution is not required for a food allergy, unless it meets the definition of a disability.

If you believe your child requires a substitution because of a disability, have your physician complete the “Medical Plan of Care” form attached below. You can also obtain a “Medical Plan of Care” form by contacting the school (HTA) at 732-8484 or the cafeteria office at 732-8436.

Medical Plan of Care for Feeding (Revised May 2019) for the “Medical Plan of Care for School Food Service” form.

Allergies / Intolerances:

Generally, children with food allergies or intolerances do not have a disability as defined under the Rehabilitation Act. The school food services may, but is not required to, make food substitutions for them. Each special dietary request will be determined by the school food service on a case-by-case basis.

Allergies or intolerances also require a supported statement from a licensed physician.

Fluid Milk Substitutions:

As per the USDA ruling 73 FR 52903 Fluid Milk Substitutions in the School Nutrition Program, “Water or juice can not be offered as a fluid milk substitute for a student with medical or special dietary needs.” This means that the CAIU Food Services can not substitute juice or water as we have in the past for students with milk intolerance or anon-disability milk allergy.

With a physician’s prescription, parents/guardians may send a milk substitute with their child or their child can purchase plain water or juice ala carte. Parents/guardians may also send medication in to the nurse who can administer it to your child prior to their lunch period. Medication will require a physician’s prescription stating the name of the medication, dose and administration directions.